Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Oedipus Part II & Part III

Part II
1. "Let them all hear it, it is for them I suffer, more than myself." pg. 963 line 95-96 "You shall see how I stand by you, as I should to avenge the city and the city's god, and not as though it were for some distant friend, but for my own sake, to be rid of evil." pg. 964 line 137-140
2. Oedipus is unaware that he has killed his father. He is angry about the murder which causes the audience to give their sympathy towards this confused character.
3. Imagery gives the audience a visual picture of the scene and characters. The imagery described in the play allows the audience to have and idea of what character, and scenery looks like.
4. Some examples of motifs are recognition, peripety, and tragedy.
5. The chorus, Stpohe and Antistrophe, is singing about the powerful gods, pain and sorrow, and prayer.
Part III
1."How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be when there's no help in truth! I knew this well, but did not act on it: else I should not have come" pg. 969 line 102-104 "Whether I speak or not it is bound to come." pg. 969 line 124
Teiresias does not act on impulse, he is a very wise character who thinks things through. He also has an honest nature.
" You are all ignorant. No; I will never tell you what I know. Now it is my misery; then, it would be yours." pg. 969 line 112-114 "No, I will not go on. Rage as you go please." pg. 969 line 127
2. Teiresias has to deal with his internal conflict which is that he knows the truth about the murder. He is trying to keep the information from Oedipus by out whiting him, but oedipus is very powerful and controlling.
3. "You child of endless night! You cannot hurt me or any other man who sees the sun." pg. 470 line 156 "Why he is no more clairvoyant than I am!" pg. 970 line 171
4. On page 969 line 127 Oedipus accuses Teiresias of being the murderer. This is an example of dramatic irony because the audience knows that Oedipus is the real murderer.
5. "Cursing the wife who was not his wife, the mother--"
6. The chorus is singing about the killer and how he will not be able to escape his guilt and sorrow. They give the hint that the king is the killer.

No comments: